Get on the Greenway
Just over three years old, the Whittier Greenway Trail remains a place for families, friends, and students to get fresh air within the city limits.
With earth day recently passed, students are seeking a way to reduce their carbon footprint.
The Greenway Trail, which extends five miles across the city of Whittier from Pioneer Blvd. to Mills Ave., is often overlooked as a solution to this problem.
The goal of this trail is to create less traffic congestion, promote safety in alternate transportation in the forms of walking and cycling, and provide some much needed scenery and greenery in the city.
On the trail, there are two roads catering to either cyclists or walker/joggers.
A smooth, paved path for cyclists contains mile markers in order to keep track of progress down the road. A carved, dirt and pebble road allows for pedestrians to walk in comfort and ease.
Thinking of taking the family pet for a stroll? The Greenway also has trash cans and plastic bags just in case a pooch has an accident.
The trail replaced an abandoned railroad for the benefit of the Whittier and surrounding city residents.
Opened in 2009, the Greenway has seen growth in the number of people that frequent the pathway. But how many of those are students?
Two out of ten Rio students asked have actually stepped foot on this trail. One student, in particular did not even know it existed.
Students searching for a way to get outdoors without being too far from home have this recreational pathway at their fingertips.
Whether it is to exercise, walk for stress-relief, or ride a bicycle to school, the trail seems to be just the answer some students may be looking for.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent El Paisano News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EL PAISANO NEWS
RECENT EL PAISANO CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?